Monday, September 3, 2012

...paper pieced octagons

I can't remember if I have blogged about this quilt before so please forgive me if I am repeating myself.

Some time ago I decided that I would use exclusively Heather Ross prints (with a preference for Munki Munki, West Hill and other early or whimsical cotton base cloth collections) to paper piece a quilt of a size that is still to be determined.


I wanted to use 2" Octagon papers with 2" squares in the filling gaps. In addition to the HR prints I planned (and am using) scraps of various white and grey solids.


This is where I got a little stumped. I wanted to use some 'solid' octagons and piece some. I went looking for co-ordinating shapes, first from Patchwork with Busy Fingers where I got my first lot of papers from and then Paper Pieces where I got extras. Unlike for hexagons there seemed to be very few - in fact I used this and this shape from Busy Fingers and could find no more that would work without me cutting some shapes of my own.

So a few weeks ago I emailed Paper Pieces on on the strength of their reply took to a piece of paper with a ruler and a pencil.


These arrived in my mailbox one morning early last week, eight different pieced octagon options finishing with 2" sides and available to order from them should you also want to paper piece 2" octagons from smaller shapes.

I have sewed some together already
Variation 1
Variation 3
Variation 5
Variation 6
Variation 8
There is one more still just basted...
Variation 7
And a couple more cut at and waiting for some stitchable moments...
Variation 2
Variation 4

6 comments:

Becky said...

Very cute!! Love them!

Fran said...

What a fabulous project! I've never seen this idea before, can't wait to see how it ends up!

Rachel said...

wow, so creative. it's gonna look great

Lucy | Charm About You said...

They look so fabulous! I love all the variations

Chelsea said...

These are fabulous! I love all the variations that frame a print. Hmm, I might have to start on octogons once I've finished my various hexie projects.

Robin said...

This is Great! I am working on a hexagon project but the octagon seems more versatile...is it just me? :) Can't wait to see it finished!
R