Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Cog + Wheel - the Blogger's Quilt Festival Edition


I have mean't to link up with Amy's Blogger's Quilt Festival the last few times and kept missing the cut-off. This time round I am just sneeking in!

I stared making this quilt at the first Sit and Sew day I attended with the Melbourne Modern Quilt   Guild in April last year. I had lived in Melbourne only about 6 months at the time and it was great   to start making some friends in my new city who share my stitchy interests!

I made this quilt from my partner N - although he sort of knew it was coming I worked on it mainly at the Sit ans Sew days in an attempt to keep it a bit special. The fabric choices, Cogsmo by Cosmo Cricket from a few years ago, seemed to match the pattern, Cog + Wheel by Denyse Schmidt and N perfectly. 

Although had various opinions about the quilting during the piecing phase I decided to quilt the design as written in the pattern, but use my walking foot to stitch along the marker curved lines. Although I am generally happy with the result I'm coming more and more to realise there are limits to what I can achieve with my machine. 


As we head into winter here in Victoria it is folded up in the corner of the lounge and has been snuggled under on a few occasions. You can't as for more than that!

14 comments:

Quilt+Bitch said...

This quilt is making me dizzy - of course in a good way. The quilting design on the quilt is beautiful. It compliments the quilt really well.

Leila said...

Oh, I love this quilt!!! Beautiful!

Geta Grama said...

I can't imagine the patience you had to stitch all those circles with a walking foot. Beautiful quilt and perfect quilting.

CitricSugar said...

It's really pretty! The quilting is beautiful.

Quilting Babcia said...

Love your colors and the design - perfect!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

what a fun quilt

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a big quilt to do on a home machine. It looks great, though. I like how you followed the pattern's lead. Great color choices!

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt said...

a great quilt with such beautiful quilting!

Kristine said...

Fabulous!

Taya@TypeB said...

I think I commented on your Flickr picture, but I just can't help but say again that I love this! The colors, the design, the quilting - it's all great! I hope your partner enjoyed it!

amy dame said...

this is wonderful! i love the fabrics that you chose, they do seem to match the pattern perfectly! the colours are fantastic!

Splendorfalls said...

Love this - great colors!

Lisa S at Sunset Seams said...

It looks terrific, Kristy - well done! The quilting looks great. Am I sensing that you might be doing a little research on getting a quilting machine of your own?

Kelsey said...

Love this quilt!! The colors are so perfect!