Monday, February 13, 2012

...Valentine's Swoon

* I'm posting this today, the day before Valentine's Day, because N and I don't celebrate Valentine's Day. We believe that everyday should be a day for 'I love you'. So I've made a Valentine's Quilt that isn't really a Valentine's quilt. 

On Sunday I went to the Melbourne Modern Quilt Guild's Sit and Sew day, weighed down by three projects I am really enjoying, the Giant Grandmother's Flower Garden, the Scrap Attack Quilt and my slow and steady Munki Munki EPP quilt.

But I couldn't get into it. You see that morning I had found a panel in the sewing room cupboard that I never would have found if I hadn't started the big clean out. I had bought it a few years ago at one of the open studio mornings at Prints Charming in Sydney. It gelled in my mind as needing to becoming the centre of the Swoon quilt I had decided to make. One block, 80" square. A quick look in the cupboard yielded the second fabric and what I thought was enough Kona White for the background.

So, sitting at the sewing day I decided to duck home a little early, swing by Spotlight for the red solid to match the panel print and do some washing while I got sewing.

Three hours later I almost had a quilt top. I am two 11.25" squares short of the Kona white and 6 squares short of the red.

A quick trip to Spotlight later in the week should yield the red and an OK white substitute.

In the meantime I have knocked up a quick baby quilt (35" square) with the flying geese unit off-cuts. Feeling very virtuous using these up right away!

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

I love the panel you have used - just perfect for the centre!