Saturday, August 20, 2011

...Scattered Showers in Spotlight solids

You could be forgiven for thinking I had disappeared. It is for sure that I haven't been here for several weeks...as so often happens life has gotten busy and my evening priorities have had to change a little. I have been given a temporary promotion at work, it means more work and responsibility but it is a challenge that I am enjoying.

It means though that most evenings I must choose between blogging or sewing. Sewing has been winning of late! I am hoping that now Nik has returned from five weeks visiting relatives overseas things will settle down a bit and I can do a little more of both in the evenings.

One of the things I have sewn in the last weeks is a sample of Kate's new pattern, Scattered Showers. I made it up in the Spotlight solids I mentioned in this post. Including the backing and binding the whole quilt cost me less than $30 and I think this design in the solids is really striking - and would be great for a little boy.
IMAG0040
It is a great, quick sew. I made the top in about 4 hours, it was over two evenings after work and they were not late ones!

The backing is mostly a solid the same as the background with IMAG0042one strip of leftover units from the front.

The quilting took a little longer, I chose to hand quilt around each of the coloured squares, once 1/4" around the outside of the larger squares and twice, also spaced 1/4" apart around the smaller squares. I used a DMC No. 8 Perle cotton in almost exactly the same shade as the background.
IMAG0041
The binding was prepared and waiting for machine sewing for days before I got to it but the hand sewing to the back happened the same night.

I really love how it turned out. I have a couple of work colleagues currently pregnant that might get it, although   I have a different plan for one I hope to put into action tomorrow.

1 comment:

amy said...

So cute!! Modern and clean and fun!! How was the pattern? I made Kate's fussy fairytales pattern and loved it. :)