Friday, April 15, 2011

do. Good Stitches April Rainbow block-with a Perth fabric secret

So after a 5am wake-up time, a frantic trip tp the airport and a cross country flight with a lot of toddlers I have arrived in Perth for a quick visit before my flight to Bali tomorrow. As is often the way I had a long list of things to do before I went and I didnt get to the all. One that didnt happen was my April block for do. Good Stitches, and while I would probably have time to get it done on my return without being late but when I have a free day why risk it?


It also givs me a chance to introduce you to a little Perth secret – Textile Traders. It is a fabric chain store- in that there are several around WA but they only exist in Western Australia as far as I can tell. Lead by Benny (and I have it on good autority that his advert persona is not an act) they stock some designer quilting weight fabrics for about $12-$15 in Australia! It seems that excess stock is sold at auction and Benny buys it for the stores so nowhere gets a whole line. That being said I have found several Amy Butler Lotus prints in one store in the past as well as heaps of Prints Charming. A great place to happen upon Out of Print or had to find fabric at a reasonable price but I think it really comes down to the luck of the find.

So when I wanted to get some fabric this morning off I went.

Rachel asked for Rainbow blocks in saturated colours, in any size or design and I couldn't go past piecing an actual rainbow!

Using the free-cutting technique Kerry asked for a few months ago in Bee {a little} bit Japanese I cut the centre half circle and then each of the rainbow bands in turn, sewing and pressing to the centre as went.

The final outside white area was cut and attached in the same way.

Off to Rachel now -she explains she would like to make a BIG  quilt so this is a BIG block- 20 inches by 24 inches.

1 comment:

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

So now I know where all that fabric that I look and look for to finish a quilt goes to. Hope you have a good trip.